Kensington | MD
This beautiful house is waiting for the next owner to call it home. Immaculately maintained makes this move-in ready. Recently renovated kitchen with adjoining family room with a gas fireplace makes for relaxing evenings. Four ample size bedrooms and two baths on the main living level. Living room with a wood-burning fireplace and access to private backyard with patio, and hot tub. Lower level rec room with another wood-burning fireplace. Laundry/storage room, exercise room and office/den. Walk out with access to the backyard. Large corner lot with a recently installed “rainscape” in a fabulous neighborhood. Close to the Town of Kensington, and the new development at Chevy Chase Lake. Short walk to Beach Drive and the walking, biking trails. Easy access to 495/270 and commuter routes to DC. You won’t want to miss this one.
Kensington’s early history is reflected in the Victorian architectural vision of Brainard Warner, known as the “founder of Kensington,” although there was a vibrant farming community here previous to Warner’s arrival. Be sure to visit the still-operating train station to find out why Kensington is known as a town “where the train still stops and the people still walk.” The area around the Rock Creek basin where Kensington now sits was largely agricultural in 1873, when the B&O Railroad completed a rail line which crossed Montgomery County. The community flourished at the spot where the railroad line intersected the old Bethesda~to~Bladensburg Road. This early settlement initially was known as Knowles Station. In the early 1890s, Warner, a Washington financier, purchased parcels of land to build a planned “garden” community, and established a public library, with the help of Crosby Noyes, and a newspaper, with the help of Cornelius Clum. Inspired by a recent trip to London, Warner named his subdivision Kensington Park. In 1894, the town was incorporated as the Town of Kensington.
Kensington continued to develop as a summer refuge for Washington residents wishing to escape the capital’s humid summers. As years passed, it became a year-round home for all of its residents. The large, southernmost section originally mapped out by Warner remains largely unchanged since its inception, and is an Historic District protected by the Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission. Revitalization projects improved the shopping areas of Metropolitan and Howard Avenues, and by 2001 the familiar cement plant across from the train station closed, giving the town the chance to add more parking on Metropolitan Avenue. In 2007 Warner Circle, in the center of the Historic District, was purchased through the Montgomery County Legacy Open Space Program making the land around the mansion a County Park.
For more information on Montgomery County Schools, click here