Washington | DC
Welcome home to 7007 31st Street NW. The stunning home is welcoming with amazing curb appeal. The current owner has meticulously maintained the home. From glistening hardwood floors, a brand new roof, and gorgeous landscaping this home is sure to impress. The welcoming front porch and architectural front door welcomes you into a spacious living room with a wood-burning fireplace. A sunroom is adjacent with access to one of 3 decks. The dining room is large and between the kitchen and the living room. The kitchen has period details and is bright and inviting. There are two very large main level bedrooms with an updated bathroom between. Both have extensive built-in oversized closets and stunning original woodwork. Upstairs is the owner’s suite with a sitting area, a bedroom with it’s own private deck, a full bath and a large walk-in closet. Take note of the beautiful original woodwork. The lower level is all about space. The lower level has a huge multipurpose room that can be used as a den, family room, gym or even convert to a nanny, au-pair or in law suite. There is a warm and cozy den/tv room on the east side of the lower level with built-ins. Adjacent to this is an office/sewing room or potential bedroom. The lower level has an enormous bath with a jacuzzi tub. The laundry room is bright with easy access to the back yard. There are two massive storage rooms on the lower level providing an abundance of utility. The yard is a manicured masterpiece, ready to host gatherings of all sizes. After the barbecue, you can walk a few hundred feet and be in the middle of Rock Creek Park. You are close to the City, Broad Branch Market, Lafayette Elementary, Bethesda and restaurants and shops yet in a serene and peaceful neighborhood.
Chevy Chase is the name of both a town and an unincorporated census-designated place that straddle the northwest border of Washington, D.C. and Montgomery County, Maryland. Several settlements in the same area of Montgomery County and one neighborhood of Washington, D.C. include “Chevy Chase” in their names. These villages, the town, and the CDP share a common history and together form a larger community colloquially referred to as “Chevy Chase”. Primarily a residential suburb, Chevy Chase adjoins Friendship Heights, a popular shopping district. It includes the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, which hosts the National Science Bowl annually in either late April or early May.
The name “Chevy Chase” is derived from “Cheivy Chace”, the name of the land patented to Colonel Joseph Belt from Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore on July 10, 1725. It has historic associations to a 1388 battle between Lord Percy of England and Earl Douglas of Scotland, the subject of the ballad entitled “The Ballad of Chevy Chase”. At issue in this “chevauchée” (a French word describing a border raid) were hunting grounds or a “chace” in the Cheviot Hills of Northumberland and Otterburn.
Before 1890, Chevy Chase was unincorporated farmland, during which time Senator Francis G. Newlands of Nevada and his partners began acquiring land in the area, for the purpose of developing a residential streetcar suburb for Washington, D.C. during the expansion of the Washington streetcars system. Newlands and his partners founded The Chevy Chase Land Company in 1890, and its holdings of more than 1,700 acres (6.9 km2) eventually extended along the present-day Connecticut Avenue from Florida Avenue north to Jones Bridge Road. The Chevy Chase Land Company built houses for $5,000 and up on Connecticut Avenue and $3,000 and up on side streets. The company banned all commerce from residential neighborhoods. Leon E. Dessez was Chevy Chase’s first resident. He and Lindley Johnson of Philadelphia designed the first four houses in the area. Lea M. Bouligny founded a school for young women at the Chevy Chase Inn (7100 Connecticut Ave). Changed name to Chevy Chase College and Seminary for Young Ladies and then again to Chevy Chase Junior College in 1927. In 1951, the National 4-H Club Foundation purchased the property. Bouligny died in 1954 and is buried in Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia.