Washington | DC
Kingman Park is a residential neighborhood in the Northeast quadrant of Washington, D.C. The neighborhood is composed primarily of two-story brick row houses (most of which were built when the neighborhood was founded in 1928). Kingman Park is named after Brigadier General Dan Christie Kingman, the former head of the United States Army Corps of Engineers (for whom nearby Kingman Island and Kingman Lake are also named).
Prior to the 1920s, Kingman Park was a largely uninhabited, wooded area located near the D.C. city dump. The area was originally on the shores of the Anacostia River. Between 1860 and the late 1880s, large mudflats (“the Anacostia flats”) formed on both banks of the Anacostia River due to deforestation and the heavy erosion it caused. In 1805, local landowner Benjamin Stoddert built a wooden bridge over the Anacostia River at the present site of Benning Bridge. The bridge was sold to Thomas Ewell, who in the 1820s sold it to William Benning. Thereafter the structure was known as Benning’s Bridge (or Benning Bridge). The wooden bridge was rebuilt several times after 1805. This included construction of a steel bridge in 1892, and the current beam-concrete pier bridge in 1934. Kingman Park is currently part of both Ward 6 and Ward 7. Prior to 2001, all of Kingman Park had been part of Ward 6. But with neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River losing population while areas west of it gained voters, the D.C. City Council was forced to redraw each ward’s boundaries in order to maintain equal populations. In June 2001, the D.C. City Council adopted and Mayor Anthony A. Williams signed the “Ward Redistricting Act,” which transferred 1,840 residents of Kingman Park from Ward 6 to Ward 7.
In May 2018, D.C.’s Historic Preservation Review Board voted to designate Northeast D.C. neighborhood Kingman Park as a historic district.
For more information on DC Public Schools, click here