Fort Washington | MD
Spectacular 5BR/3.5BA Luxury Estate w/over 5000 sq. ft. of living space in a quiet Piscataway Hills neighborhood! Grand foyer, formal living & dining rooms welcome you into this light-filled home! Gourmet kitchen opens to stunning 2-story family rm w/gas fireplace & large deck, perfect for entertaining. Spacious master suite has a gas fireplace, 2 walk-in closets + 2 shoe closets, & luxurious BA. Huge, fully-finished walk-out LL has a w/bdrm, spa bath & rec rm. Attached two-car garage! Gorgeous, private ½ acre fenced lot w/fire pit; backs to wooded area! Perfection! Close to MGM, National Harbor; shopping. Commute buses available to DC.
Fort Washington borders the capital of the United States of America, Washington, D.C., situated just south of the downtown district. The Fort Washington community is located west of Maryland Route 210, with some additional area to the east of the highway. The community is named for Fort Washington, which upon its completion in 1809 was the only defensive fort protecting Washington, D.C. The fort is a stone structure and offered a good field of range for cannon fire at enemy advances on the Potomac River. During the War of 1812, the fort was quickly abandoned during a British advance. In 1844, a cannon exploded on the USS Princeton as it was passing Fort Washington. During World War II, the US Army’s Adjutant General’s School was located at the fort and had billeting for 362 officers and 2,526 enlisted persons. The site is now part of a very extensive park with views of the Potomac River and hiking paths. It is a scenic place for picnicking, fishing and outdoor recreation. (Admission is free to people entering after business hours and before sunset.)
Near the fort are many riverfront homes, two marinas, two community pools, and National Golf Club. The area was rural until about 1960 when suburban growth began and is continuing to grow, adding new, large family homes in small developments next to older existing developments. Until the founding of the Oxon Hill post office about 1960, the Fort Washington area generally used the mailing address Washington, D.C., except for the few years that Friendly had a post office. About 1980 the postal service split the Fort Washington area from Oxon Hill, defining it as a separate town name. At that time, to make mail sorting easier, they drew the boundary between the two communities to conform to already existing zip code boundaries. The end result sometimes confuses people, since the northern end of the Fort Washington postal area (near the Beltway) identifies more with the communities Oxon Hill or Temple Hills / Camp Springs but still uses a Fort Washington mailing address.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) maintains the Harmony Hall Regional Center, including the John Addison Concert Hall, site of community theater (“Tantallon Community Players”), art shows, frequent concerts, and a variety of classes for all ages. A YMCA fitness center operated from 2005 until 2016, and a community center facility opened in 2013 in Fort Washington Forest. The 12,000-member Ebenezer A.M.E. Church is noteworthy, as is a large nursery/landscaping business and a popular motorcycle shop. There is a small 50-bed hospital (Fort Washington Hospital).