Washington | DC
Surprisingly, 4020 Reno Road is not located on Reno, but rather, on a quiet private lane off Upton Street. This expanded Center Hall Colonial is hidden behind magnificent trees and mature plantings—a lush enclave.
The gardens were twice featured on the Cleveland Park garden tour. The landscaped corner island at Reno and Upton seems like an extension of the gardens.
Walking up the curved flagstone walk, you come to the Greek Revival portico. The front door is flanked by leaded glass windows and opens to a gracious foyer. You immediately notice the newly refinished oak hardwood floors found on three levels of the home.
Anchored by a wood-burning fireplace, the living room has windows on three sides and crown moldings. Window benches with ample storage flank two sides of the room–ideal for reading or extra seating.
Just off the living room, a family room has three walls of windows, refinished oak floors, a built-in cabinet and track lighting–an ideal retreat from hectic daily life. In addition, the sellers have had architectural drawings done for a rooftop deck over this room.
The dining room features crown molding, hardwood floors, two cabinets connected by a sideboard. Views of the garden through sliding glass doors bring the outdoors inside.
The galley kitchen is a cook’s delight. Stainless steel countertops with metal tile backsplash complement the natural wood cabinets, with under-cabinet lighting, spice racks and a pull-out work table. The stainless appliances include a six-burner gas cooktop, exterior venting hood, two wall ovens, microwave, dishwasher and French-door refrigerator. To the side is an ample pantry.
Off the kitchen is a breakfast room solarium with terracotta floor, built-in seating, skylight, French doors, and glass walls overlooking the fully-fenced side yard and patio. A powder room is tucked to the side of the kitchen.
Upstairs, you find a cozy landing featuring a window seat with a cedar drawer and two linen closets. The owner’s suite has three ample closets with built-in organizers and custom built-in bookcases. The vintage ceramic tile bath provides a unique square tub/shower. Two more bedrooms and a second full bath are also on this level. On the top floor are two large bedrooms with refinished oak hardwood floors, three dormer windows, built-in window seats and desk, ceiling fans and supplemental mini-split AC/heating. Through a walk-in closet is a ladder to the large attic. Between the bedrooms are a ceramic-tile full bathroom and a storage closet.
The house is on a hillside so it’s a walk-out basement with full-size windows. The recreation room has a wood-burning fireplace, new carpeting, built-in bookcases and Pickwick paneling. On the other side is a powder room and storage area/laundry room.
Off the recreation room is a two-car attached garage with built-in storage shelving.
The front garden features magnolias, crepe myrtles, Japanese maples and a river of hostas. In the back is a small vegetable garden and a paperbark maple.
Fully fenced with two gates the side garden touts a flagstone patio, majestic oak, Japanese maples, mahonias, and hydrangeas. It is clear throughout the house that the previous owners were meticulous in maintaining and embellishing the home. The shared private lane was recently resurfaced.
The location offers easy access to many schools including Sidwell Friends, Whittle, Burke, Sheridan, Eaton, Hearst. It’s a short walk to the Van Ness Metro Station on the Red Line. To the south is Cleveland Park’s historic district and to the west is the Wisconsin Avenue corridor. The City Ridge development currently being built with the new Wegman’s is close by, as are Hearst Park/playground and (soon) pool. Rock Creek Park is literally across the street for easy access to walking paths. The neighborhood is organized as the Springland Farm Community with list serve and social events.
Cleveland Park is a residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C. Its main commercial corridor lies along Connecticut Avenue, NW, where the eponymous Cleveland Park station of the Washington Metro’s Red Line can be found; another commercial corridor lies along Wisconsin Avenue. The neighborhood is known for its many late 19th century homes and the historic Art Deco Uptown Theater. It is also home to the William L. Slayton House and the Park and Shop, built in 1930 and one of the earliest strip malls. The neighborhood acquired its name after 1886, when President Grover Cleveland purchased a stone farmhouse directly opposite Rosedale and remodeled it into a Queen Anne style summer estate called Oak View or Oak Hill (by other accounts, Red Top). When Cleveland lost his bid for re-election in 1888, the property was sold, and the Oak View subdivision was platted in 1890.
Early large-scale development was spurred by the neighborhood’s upland topography, which provided a breezy relief from the hot, fetid air in the lowlands that were then the built-up area of Washington, D.C. Most of the houses built during this period show their intended use as summer houses in the era before air conditioning, having such architectural features as wide porches, large windows, and long, overhanging eaves. Once Cleveland Park was connected to downtown Washington, the neighborhood’s second phase of development, as a “streetcar suburb,” began. The Cleveland Park Company oversaw construction on numerous plots starting in 1894. Most houses were designed by individual architects and builders, including Waddy B. Wood, resulting in an eclectic mix of the popular architectural styles of the time, notably the Queen Anne style (including the Shingle style), Georgian Revival, and the Mission Revival.