Washington | DC
Wonderful architecture and exceptional charm make this circa 1925 home both attractive and desirable. Its great curb appeal comes from its picturesque façade set back from the street with its numerous lilies of the valley in the front garden. Upon entering, the rooms flow seamlessly throughout the main level. A large entrance foyer with a vintage coat tree sets the stage. To the right of the foyer is a gracious living room with a woodburning fireplace and wonderful custom built-in shelves surrounding the large window overlooking the front garden. French doors on either side of the fireplace lead to a bright study with additional built-in shelving. To the left of the foyer, French doors lead to the dining room. This elegant, light space for entertaining has a corner china closet and attractive chair rail. Original features enhance almost every room in this home, including crown moldings, picture frame moldings, original hardware on doors, and so many details!
At the end of the entrance hall is a sizeable laundry room and a perfect powder room. The L-shaped kitchen can be entered from the dining and living room. It has lots of counter and storage space, granite counters, and a gas cooktop with an oven under it. The L-shape expands the kitchen to a second sink, a desk/work area, and open space for a breakfast or family room. Sliding glass doors open to an expansive rear deck for comfortable outdoor living. The small low maintenance rear yard has a large storage shed.
The second level has a master bedroom with an en suite bath and an adjoining, sunny sitting room with huge windows. There are two additional large bedrooms with a Jack-and-Jill bath between them. Both bedrooms have custom built-ins. The third level has two charming bedrooms with arched windows, additional built-in storage, and a full bathroom with a tub. The lower level with good ceiling height is just waiting to be designed as further living space. The location is superb, only a few blocks from Wisconsin Avenue shops and restaurants, in between two Metros on the Red Line. Enjoy living in historic Chevy Chase with its abundance of charm!
Facts & Figures:
Chevy Chase is the name of both a town and an unincorporated census-designated place that straddle the northwest border of Washington, D.C. and Montgomery County, Maryland. Several settlements in the same area of Montgomery County and one neighborhood of Washington, D.C. include “Chevy Chase” in their names. These villages, the town, and the CDP share a common history and together form a larger community colloquially referred to as “Chevy Chase”. Primarily a residential suburb, Chevy Chase adjoins Friendship Heights, a popular shopping district. It includes the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, which hosts the National Science Bowl annually in either late April or early May.
The name “Chevy Chase” is derived from “Cheivy Chace”, the name of the land patented to Colonel Joseph Belt from Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore on July 10, 1725. It has historic associations to a 1388 battle between Lord Percy of England and Earl Douglas of Scotland, the subject of the ballad entitled “The Ballad of Chevy Chase”. At issue in this “chevauchée” (a French word describing a border raid) were hunting grounds or a “chace” in the Cheviot Hills of Northumberland and Otterburn.
Before 1890, Chevy Chase was unincorporated farmland, during which time Senator Francis G. Newlands of Nevada and his partners began acquiring land in the area, for the purpose of developing a residential streetcar suburb for Washington, D.C. during the expansion of the Washington streetcars system. Newlands and his partners founded The Chevy Chase Land Company in 1890, and its holdings of more than 1,700 acres (6.9 km2) eventually extended along the present-day Connecticut Avenue from Florida Avenue north to Jones Bridge Road. The Chevy Chase Land Company built houses for $5,000 and up on Connecticut Avenue and $3,000 and up on side streets. The company banned all commerce from residential neighborhoods. Leon E. Dessez was Chevy Chase’s first resident. He and Lindley Johnson of Philadelphia designed the first four houses in the area. Lea M. Bouligny founded a school for young women at the Chevy Chase Inn (7100 Connecticut Ave). Changed name to Chevy Chase College and Seminary for Young Ladies and then again to Chevy Chase Junior College in 1927. In 1951, the National 4-H Club Foundation purchased the property. Bouligny died in 1954 and is buried in Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia.