Chevy Chase | MD
Classic charm meets modern convenience in this lovely five-bedroom, three bath house, tucked away from busy streets and nestled into a gentle slope. This Chevy Chase Cape Cod style home preserves the neighborhood’s rich architectural heritage while featuring thoughtful upgrades to make it the ultimate in gracious living.
A small but charming front porch overlooks a neighborhood pond and lends itself to enjoyment and relaxing. This pristine 1,979 square foot home offers an expansive, flexible floor plan. The open living room is awash in sunlight thanks in part to the adjoining sunroom with three full walls of windows, including a double French door that leads to the idyllic yard. The beautiful natural light highlights the glistening, newly refinished hardwood floors found throughout.
Anchored by a wood-burning fireplace with decorative mantel, the living room leads to the formal dining room through an arched entry. The powder room, renovated in marble, is conveniently situated between two bedrooms, each with hardwood floors, well-sized closets, and two exposures of mature trees.
The dining room is open to the kitchen, creating an airy flow perfect for entertaining. With gleaming quartz countertops, a complete suite of high-end stainless-steel appliances, handsome shaker style cabinets, and a convenient breakfast bar, the gourmet kitchen is ideal for casual dining or buffet-style entertaining. The kitchen leads directly out to the large, terraced back yard and flagstone patio; perfect for a relaxing morning coffee or outdoor meal alike. The fully fenced yard features stacked stone walls that create planting beds, a flat grassy area and a shaded back with large trees just begging for a hammock.
On the upper level, the large master bedroom touts elegant sloped ceilings and an adjacent office or expansive walk-in second closet. The full bath with window is recently updated. The sweet second bedroom has a hidden ‘bonus room’ through the closet ideal for storage or playroom.
A fully finished basement with a bedroom and private full bath rounds out this fabulous home. This flexible space is large, with a newly carpeted recreation room, separate laundry room with ample storage and workspace, and exits to both the backyard and garage.
The location is the unmatched best of both worlds – unspoiled suburban life, soon to be within a mile of the new Chevy Chase Purple Line metro. Although barely outside of Washington, DC, this home is just a block away from trails, Candy Cane City playground, Meadowbrook Stables, tennis courts, and incredible open spaces. A short walk in the opposite direction finds a market, pharmacy, dry cleaner, and French bistro! Come see what Rollingwood has to offer!
Chevy Chase is the name of both a town and an unincorporated census-designated place that straddle the northwest border of Washington, D.C. and Montgomery County, Maryland. Several settlements in the same area of Montgomery County and one neighborhood of Washington, D.C. include “Chevy Chase” in their names. These villages, the town, and the CDP share a common history and together form a larger community colloquially referred to as “Chevy Chase”. Primarily a residential suburb, Chevy Chase adjoins Friendship Heights, a popular shopping district. It includes the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, which hosts the National Science Bowl annually in either late April or early May.
The name “Chevy Chase” is derived from “Cheivy Chace”, the name of the land patented to Colonel Joseph Belt from Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore on July 10, 1725. It has historic associations to a 1388 battle between Lord Percy of England and Earl Douglas of Scotland, the subject of the ballad entitled “The Ballad of Chevy Chase”. At issue in this “chevauchée” (a French word describing a border raid) were hunting grounds or a “chace” in the Cheviot Hills of Northumberland and Otterburn.
Before 1890, Chevy Chase was unincorporated farmland, during which time Senator Francis G. Newlands of Nevada and his partners began acquiring land in the area, for the purpose of developing a residential streetcar suburb for Washington, D.C. during the expansion of the Washington streetcars system. Newlands and his partners founded The Chevy Chase Land Company in 1890, and its holdings of more than 1,700 acres (6.9 km2) eventually extended along the present-day Connecticut Avenue from Florida Avenue north to Jones Bridge Road. The Chevy Chase Land Company built houses for $5,000 and up on Connecticut Avenue and $3,000 and up on side streets. The company banned all commerce from residential neighborhoods. Leon E. Dessez was Chevy Chase’s first resident. He and Lindley Johnson of Philadelphia designed the first four houses in the area. Lea M. Bouligny founded a school for young women at the Chevy Chase Inn (7100 Connecticut Ave). Changed name to Chevy Chase College and Seminary for Young Ladies and then again to Chevy Chase Junior College in 1927. In 1951, the National 4-H Club Foundation purchased the property. Bouligny died in 1954 and is buried in Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia.