Washington | DC
Constructed in 1906, this 3 bedroom/1.5 bath rowhome in historic LeDroit Park is the envy of the neighborhood. Enjoy preparing meals in the large gourmet kitchen, complete with marble counters and stainless steel appliances. The kitchen opens out to the spacious outdoor deck, ideal for relaxing or hosting a get-together. On cold nights, curl up in front of one of 2 working fireplaces! This location is a walker’s paradise so daily errands do not need a car. Abundant restaurants, grocery stores, Shaw’s Tavern, bars/pubs are less than .2 miles. Great proximity to the Shaw and U-Street Metro stations.
LeDroit Park is a neighborhood in Washington, D.C. located immediately southeast of Howard University. The area is known for its history and 19th century protected architecture. The community’s diversity entices new residents to the community, as well as its close proximity to the Shaw–Howard University Metro station and many dining options. The neighborhood was founded in 1873 by Amzi Barber, a businessman who served on the board of trustees of neighboring Howard University. Barber named the neighborhood after his father-in-law, LeDroict Langdon, but dropped the ⟨c⟩.
As one of the first suburbs of Washington, LeDroit Park was developed and marketed as a “romantic” neighborhood with narrow tree-lined streets that bore the same names as the trees that shaded them, differing from the street names used in the rest of the city. Extensive focus was placed on the landscaping of this neighborhood, as developers spent a large sum of money to plant flower beds and trees to attract high-profile professionals from the city. Griffith Stadium, the home of the Washington Redskins and Washington Senators was also located here until 1965, when the Howard University Hospital was built where it used to stand. Le Droit Park includes Anna J. Cooper Circle, named for the education pioneer.
Today, the neighborhood’s historic value is officially recognized as the LeDroit Park Historic District. The historic district includes the Mary Church Terrell House, a U.S. National Historic Landmark. The neighborhood was awarded a place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. On October 17, 2015, the LeDroit Park Heritage Trail was opened. Featuring 16 signs, the 90-minute walking tour chronicles the history of the neighborhood and its residents. The Trail begins where Florida Avenue, 6th and T Streets, NW meet at the “gateway” to LeDroit Park.