Washington | DC
Welcome home to this beautiful 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath home just steps away from Langdon Park! Built in 2012, this contemporary style home stuns with bamboo wood floors, elegant crown molding, chair railing, 9 ft ceilings, and open living & dining room spaces with bay windows. Gourmet kitchen w/ granite, stainless steel appliances, 42 in. cabinets, center island & a separate pantry! Upper level has 3 bedrooms and 2 Baths. Lovely tray ceiling with ceiling fan, and built-in speakers in the owner~s suite. Fully finished lower level has a 4th bedroom, full bath, large den, wet bar, and built in speakers. Sprinkler system throughout home. Step out back to a beautifully sculpted rear deck, garden and gated driveway w/ room for 2 cars! Convenient location just minutes from Downtown DC.
Langdon, also referred to as, “South Woodridge”, is a neighborhood located in Ward 5 of Northeast Washington, D.C. Historical surveys of D.C. recognize Langdon as a neighborhood dating back to at least 1903. Starting in 1632, the land comprising present-day Langdon was part of the Maryland colony, The non-county land was incorporated into Prince George’s County with its creation in 1695. The land became part of Washington County, D.C. with its creation in 1801.In the early 1850s, much of the land that would become Langdon was purchased by a bronze sculptor named Clark Mills. Mills operated a foundry where a WMATA bus depot now stands (as of 2015). Mills Rd. NE was the original path leading up to this foundry. Maps from the late 1800’s suggest a B&O Railroad station (“Mills Station”) served the foundry and Mills’ land. The area served as the site of multiple reinforcements during the American Civil War (1861-1865), when a ring of forts, batteries, and trenches was built in the District of Columbia’s periphery. Many of these fortifications were still intact as of the 1887 survey of D.C., but have since disappeared with little trace.
Many of the houses that today stand in the neighborhood were built starting with the extension of Rhode Island Ave. NE up from Boundary Rd. (now Florida Ave.) to Eastern Ave., and the building of the streetcar thereon, starting around 1890. The area was served by the Rhode Island Ave. streetcar until its dismantling in 1962. Since at least 1938, the neighborhood has been home to a large municipal park. Langdon Park’s public swimming pool was chosen as the first place that former Mayor Williams started the tradition of launching “DC’s Summer Fun” by cannonball diving into a chosen pool. As recently as 2013, Langdon Park featured a small amphitheater, which featured performances of go-go bands.
In 2014, a section of Langdon Park was renamed the Chuck Brown Memorial Park and redesigned as a memorial for go-go artist Chuck Brown. There is an annual free go-go concert celebration on Chuck Brown’s birthday, officially known as Chuck Brown Day. The historically industrial south end of the neighborhood presently houses a large rock/electronica music venue (Echo Stage) as well as several nightclubs. Capital Subdivision tracks separate the industrial sections of the neighborhood from the more residential ones. Woodridge Library, a newly rebuilt municipal library branch, was constructed at the corner of 18th St. and Hamlin St. NE, and opened in September 2016. In terms of transportation, residents of Langdon have access to the Rhode Island Avenue Metro station as well as access to Metrobus routes that serve the Rhode Island Avenue NE (Route 1) Corridor and Bladensburg Road NE Corridor.