Upper Marlboro | MD
Fabulously renovated home in the sought-after neighborhood of Hollaway Estates. This home offers gleaming hardwood floors on the main level and wall-to-wall carpet on the lower level. The modern kitchen comes with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and an island for extra counter space in the kitchen, a sliding glass door leads you to an ample wooden deck out back where you will enjoy the view of the ample backyard. House comes with a video ring doorbell and a secure electric keypad. There is direct access from the house to your own attached garage. House sits on almost 1/4 acre of land. This quiet community offers residents a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of the city with convenient access to route Route 301 Crain Highway and Route 5 Branch for access to I-95 to Baltimore, Washington, D.C, and Virginia. Located within 10 minutes away are a variety of parks including Holloway Estates Park and shopping. House conveys in AS IS condition, pre-inspections are welcome.
Upper Marlboro was established in 1706 as “Marlborough Town”, after John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, an ancestor of Winston Churchill. In 1744, the town was renamed to “Upper Marlborough.” In the late 19th century, the town’s name changed from Upper Marlborough to Upper Marlboro. The name change is linked to a postal clerk who felt that the last three letters, “ugh”, did not properly fit on the rubber stamps being used at the time. By 1893, postal guides were referring to the town as Upper Marlboro and the name stuck, despite a proposed ballot to have it changed back in 1968. Early in its life, when the western branch of the Patuxent River was still navigable, the town served as a port town for tobacco ships. The town blossomed into an agricultural, social, and political hot spot. Farms, many of which raised tobacco, dominated the surrounding areas. In 1814, Upper Marlboro was seized by British forces under the command of Major-General Robert Ross and Rear Admiral George Cockburn during the campaign leading up to the Battle of Bladensburg and the Burning of Washington.
During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, many prominent merchants, lawyers, and politicians lived and worked in the area. Horse racing came to the town around the mid-18th century and attracted many people from the surrounding areas. Since its initial conception the town has changed quite a bit. It initially boomed as a port town for tobacco trade, but the clearing and cultivation of land for farming would lead to erosion in the area. Over the years this erosion caused sedimentation, leading the Western Branch to become unnavigable. The fields of tobacco that once dominated the area have been converted over to residential developments, with the number of farms dwindling each year.
Upper Marlboro’s economy consists of small businesses, with a majority of employment opportunities in the city in the courthouse. There are 26 shops and restaurants in Upper Marlboro, 22 of which are small businesses. The courthouse makes up a large amount of revenue of the city. The Enquirer-Gazette is the city’s weekly newspaper. Inside the city of Upper Marlboro, there are three bodies of water: Federal Spring Branch, Western Branch Patuxent River, and School House Pond.
For more information on Prince George County Schools, click here